Friday, December 2, 2011

The Diary of a Da'ee : An Unforgettable Moment...

The Diary of a Da'ee : An Unforgettable Moment...

by Nisaar Y. Nadiadwala on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 11:07am


  It was Azad Maidan, Mumbai, 2004. Dr Zakir Naik was delivering a talk on Similarities between Hinduism and Islam. The talk was in its last session. I was waiting along with a Senior Volunteer worrying about some unexcpected disturbance frm mishceivous elements who could disturb the entire good program.

   " Excuse me !" We turned back and saw a tall man his fairness shining on his pointed cheeks and sharp nose. He was a uniformed cop perhaps  a " Deputy Commisioner" of this zone. He sretched his hands for a shake and requested " I would like to have a copy of Qur'an in English." We didnt have it at that time so we promised to send it to his office next day.He gave his visit card and I  droppted it in my pocket. He continued his discussion about his  experience in the police and said , " Few years back I was posted by the UN mission in Bosnia...A lot of atrocities by the Serbs..." How was your experience...?" I asked.

    I am always fascinated by adventerous stories in real life, and I  had just read a book on Bosnion agonies, so I thought it was a good opportunity to get it straight from a police officer. But then some one called him and we had to end the conversation. For the next few days I thought of meeting him. His image was like a typical film star. Tall, fair, sharp features and bright eyes and neatly dressed up in his uniform and had lots of things to say about Bosnia..Then next day we despatched the English Translation of the Qur'an. The incident was forgotten, and the man was out of reach.

   Three years back..I was on my way home and received the news of Kasab's misadventure on CST railway station, killing three top Mumbai Police officers, along with scores of other civilians. It was one of the most dangerous nights of Mumbai. Next day onwards we were served the news and pcitures of all the three police officers and one picture struck my attention. "It resembles some one" but I couldnt recollect. Perhaps this man was the same whom we had met at the Azad Maidan. I calle dup my senior volunteer to clarify my doubt and he confirmed it. "Yes He is Ashok Kamte.". Kasab's bullets ran through men. A man who was posted to risk his life saving the innocent Bosnian Muslims now fell to the bullets while saving the other citizens.

    I remembered the place and the incident where we had met for the first and the last time..He died in the by lanes of St. Xaviers's College which was only 50 meters away from the Azad maidan where we had met . What an irony! Two days back it was 26 November and I remembered the short meet with Ashok Kamte..So I thought of sharing it with my readers.

 Who ever kills an innocent person it is as though he has killed an entire humanity..Surah al Maidah...

Author : Nisaar Nadiadwala speaks and writes on socio-educational issues from Islamic Perspective. He can be reached at nisaar_yusuf@yahoo.com


Ashok Kamte was popular among the Muslims

No comments:

Post a Comment