Friday, July 22, 2011

One More Friday...My Own Thoughts and My Own Observations

One More Friday...My Own Thoughts and My Own Observations

by Nisaar Y. Nadiadwala on Friday, July 22, 2011 at 12:51pm




I was invited to deliver a Jumuah Khutba in a Masjid and I chose to speak on" How our Masajid can benefit us in a big way. After the Jumuah prayers the trustees met me and showed their pleasure for giving them some useful motivating advice. Next year I happened to visit the same Masjid for another Jumuah and to my delight I saw a lot of activities that benefited the localites had been initiated in the Masjid.

One more Friday has arrived announcing a hidden moment during which our supplications are accepted.. I wonder how many of us are really particular regarding this virtue?

'Friday is the Eid of the week' says a popular and authentic Hadith. How many of us treat Friday in this manner? On Eid , we bring out our best dress from our wardrobe and apply best perfumes and remain happy whole day. On Fridays many of us  wake up late because it is a holiday and we bathe late and reach the Masjid just before the khutba is over..

  If a person lives for 60 years he meets 52x50  =2600 Fridays if he begins attending Friday khutbas from the age of 10 or 12..It also means that if he is attentive to all the khutbas then he receives 2600 lectures of good advice and 2600 lectures inspiration to do good..A regular nourishment for soul isn't it?  Compare it with Maths or science that you learn in one lecture a day for ten year os your schooling... 200 working days a year X 10 =2000 lectures of Maths. Just two thousand lectures of Maths can qualify many students to be an engineer designing and errecting huge buildings,  machines, software....Dont you think 2600 Friday can establish bigger wonders in our lives? Compile 2600 hours of advice by adding up 1400 Masjid in Mumbai alone and add up with your own city and guess how many precious hours we miss out every Friday collectively!

  The reason for the Ummah not getting the best out of Fridays is that we have under estimated our Jumuah Khutbas. The audience prefer to reach when the khutbah is about to get over and many of the speakers themselves stand up unprepared and some just encourage sectarian inclinations... I wish someone comes out with a Jumuah Khutba training for Khateebs.ie. Speakers.

  I remember in my early days of learning Islam.. I used to look for the best orator in  in my locality during Jumuah. I used to attend any guest speaker who was well know for his motivating speeches. I used to get inspired. When Moulana Mukhtar Ahmed Nadwi was alive, many people came all the way from 20 kms to hear his Jumuah sermons. He spoke in a common man's language and touched their chord. Shaikh Zafrul Hasan Madni too comes well prepared for his sermons and his sermons delivers more precious lesson than a diver from the depth of an ocean. Moulana Muqeen Faizi too does his homework well before his sermons. These scholars are heard by listeners of all groups of Muslims and are appreciated.

 I wish we get back on the track of taking maximum benefit out of Jumuah Sermons and turn the tide in favour of us.

Author: Nisaar Nadiadwala speaks and writes on socio-educational topics from Islamic perspective. he canbe reached at nisaar_yusuf@yahoo.com

Taken From

No comments:

Post a Comment